Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Swiss Rolls !

I have always admired people who can do the Swiss Rolls. Even at the class my tutor did it with ease and I thought its wiser to leave it to experts.The bakers rush took me over yesterday and I decided to give it a shot. First, sponge cracked up as I had over baked it, which now has been stowed away for trifle someday soon. Made another sponge, waited by the oven and got it right !! 


The ingredients are ;
All purpose flour - 9 Tablespoons
Granulated sugar - 4 to 5 Tablespoons
Eggs ( medium size) - 3
Vanilla Essence - 1 teaspoon

Method: In a stand mixer beat the eggs and sugar with the vanilla essence for close to 15 minutes at high speed until pale and creamy. Sieve the flour three times and fold into the batter,gently, ensuring the batter remains airy yet incorporates the flour totally. Pour the batter into a flat pan lined with wax paper. 
And bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 10 - 15 minutes. Check at 10 minutes as it should be done by then. If the sponge springs back to touch and the tooth pick comes out clean, its done. If ever the edges of the cake are crisp just cut them out. I say be alert at 10 minutes is because I waited for 15 minutes first and the sponge cracked up :(
 Place a moist towel beneath the sponge and slowly roll out the sponge - gently peel off the wax paper and roll it complete.
 A close up of the roll
Now ....let it rest for 2 - 3 minutes in the wax paper cover or the towel if you like and gently open it again...spread the filling ( I had a batch of Swiss meringue butter cream to which I folded some melted chocolate chips) Roll back soon after and allow it to set.
To make it look colorful, I piped a few shells with wilton tip #16.
That's the slice !!
I have learnt that this roll needs quick fingers - so to say photographing at the same time don't go hand in hand......But the end result of it all ...is just wow !

 Linking this Swiss Roll to the event "60 Days to Christmas " hosted by Priya & Divya....



11 comments:

  1. Vid swizz roll is simply superb you have baked it to perfection :) loving it... if you are interested try linking this to Christmas event

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here I come , shall edit and link right away ! thank u :)

      Delete
  2. wow superb... i always admire this swiss roll... can i add substitute for eggs... if else what ingredient?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is an eggless sponge recipe tucked somewhere, let me find it for u ....do give me time :)

      Delete
  3. I have been eyeing on Swiss rolls recipe for sometime now.. but dont know when will try it.. You have made it perfectly.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great swiss rolls,awesome job dear,love the decoration and the filling too..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful swiss rolls you did a wonderful job. Love it Vidya. I too need to master it in making sponge cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome And amazing :) I ll bake it for sure..am scary to do it !!! I never get it to perfection because my sponge cake gets dried fast and looks like cookie biscuit :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats exactly what happened to me first time, so be alert at 10 minutes of baking time...u will get it right..

      Delete
  7. Very well done!!!Love the decoration :-)

    ReplyDelete